Eat Healthier with This Easy Swap
Sometimes, “simple swaps” aren’t so simple – or appetising. However, there is one food you should always keep on hand for a nutritious and diet-friendly substitution in many of your recipes: cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is creamy and rich and can stand in for such decadent ingredients as butter, heavy cream, and cream cheese with lots of protein and significantly less fat. Try using cottage cheese in the following ways for delicious and protein-packed meals and snacks.
- Mac and cheese: This heavy comfort food lightens up when you swap half the regular cheese for cottage cheese. The finished product will have fewer calories and more protein but will taste just as good.
- Pancakes: There are lots of different ways to make pancakes, but almost all recipes include milk. Using cottage cheese in place of half the milk will add protein and fluffy texture to your pancakes, and they’ll keep you full longer, too.
- Toast: Toast and cottage cheese is so versatile. Spread cottage cheese on your toast and make it sweet with a drizzle of honey or savoury with cherry tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. You can also add your own favourite toppings for a treat tailored to your taste buds.
- Avocado spread: You’re probably aware of the health benefits of avocados, but they can be pricey. Stretch your dollars by mashing half avocado and half cottage cheese for a delicious, creamy spread that’s just as healthy.
- Tuna salad: There are several ways to make tuna or chicken salad lighter and healthier. Mayonnaise is notoriously unhealthy, so switch it out for cottage cheese – its natural saltiness is a surprising win with many different proteins.
- Pizza: Lighten up your favourite comfort food by topping it with cottage cheese, lots of veggies, and just a little mozzarella for a protein-rich, guilt-free pie.
- Cheesecake: A healthy diet is all about balance, and that means making room for the occasional treat. You can dramatically reduce the number of calories in cheesecake by replacing half the cream cheese with cottage cheese. Try straining it first for the best texture.
Cottage cheese can be your best friend when it comes to eating a healthy diet and reaching and maintaining a healthy weight. Have fun coming up with new ways to use it in your favourite recipes!